Security & privacy
Is the data transfer secure?
Designed with security in mind, smart meters will operate on a private secure wireless network owned and operated by Manx Utilities. All proposed sub-systems also feature security by design.
What data will be collected and for what purposes?
Smart meter data broadly falls into three categories.
1. Consumption (electricity usage) information
- for billing
- to comply with our reporting obligations
- to deal with queries and complaints
2a. Operational (alerts and alarms) data
- to detect anomalies and to monitor statutory compliance
- to identify fraud or theft
2b. Operational (instrumentation) data
- to allow us to maintain and improve the electricity network and perform our duties
- to help us build a better understanding of energy use and how it compares to similar properties and households
- to enable us to offer customers more ways of managing energy use and saving money
- to help us prioritise work on the network, connect properties to it more easily and lead to improvement of services
- to plan and optimise investment
3. Anonymised data
Anonymised data is operational data, aggregated by a large enough factor so that individual consumers may no longer be identified through it. Once anonymised, data ceases to be personal.
Frequency of data collection
Smart meters record more information than standard meters. They will store that information in blocks of 30 minutes. You choose how much of this information you wish to share with us. If you do nothing, we may collect a daily reading. The three options available to you are:
- Monthly (opt-out): a meter reading once a month - mainly consumption data
- Daily (default - your meter will be set at this option unless you tell us otherwise): daily reading of the information recorded on the meter
- On-demand (opt-in for credit plans, default for prepayment plans): half-hourly readings of information recorded on the meter so we may manage credit balances
For billing and reporting purposes, as well as for dealing with queries and complaints, consumption data will be retained for up to seven years after the end of the service agreement with you.
Operational data will be held for up to 13 months after it has been read. However, we will aim to anonymise it sooner by aggregating it with other consumers’ data so you may no longer be identified through it.
Will Manx Utilities share my data with anyone else?
None of your personal data will be passed to third parties for marketing purposes.
We may share your personal data with third parties in certain circumstances, for example:
- So we may comply with any legal obligation
- On limited occasions, in order to apply our terms and conditions of supply
- To protect the rights, property or safety of Manx Utilities, our customers or others, or
- If we engage consultants, contractors or academic institutions, but only to the extent they require to perform their duties
Would I have access to my data?